Skip to main content

Easier Said Than Done

This post is mostly a rant/winge and a pep talk for myself. It's honestly pretty boring, so don't feel obligated to slog through it. Trigger warning for food-talk and depression.

Two points to make clear before we begin:

1. I don't think there's any such thing as 'bad' food. Food has no moral standing. It is food.
2. This isn't about weight. Full stop.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like rubbish.

Why? Well, aside from the ongoing SPD/PGP saga throughout this pregnancy, I feel like rubbish because my eating habits have been rubbish. Simple carbohydrates were my saving grace throughout the rough seas of the first trimester when the mere suggestion of anything else made me gag. Knowing how utterly addictive simple carbs and refined sugar are for me, the necessary survival tactic has carried on into my second trimester long after morning sickness subsided. I've always been open about my long and hard battle with my past toxic relationship with food. From adolescence onward, it's safe to say I've explored every unsafe nook and cranny when it comes to eating. It wasn't until my mid 20s that I finally figured things out. Unfortunately, the demands of pregnancy and the inescapable changes that come with it can be seriously triggering for anyone who has ever struggled with food.

Now, let me clarify that I don't think there's anything wrong with eating whatever you enjoy. I don't demonise any kind of food. We need food to live and eating is one of the great joys of life. The problem here is that overloading on refined carbs has always disagreed with my body. I wish I could live off of bread and chocolate, but my gut and pancreas scream 'NO!'

I've slipped into the cycle of making all sorts of excuses to myself to allow me to ignore my body's protest: I'm pregnant, so it's ok to relax! It's not THAT much! I eat really well MOST of the time! But, the reality is that I'm a bit of a hedonist who easily loses control when it comes to food to soothe my anxiety and ADD. Be that as it may, surpassing my personal sugar limit never fails to make me feel bad, and it's time for me to state loudly and clearly to myself that I do feel bad. Not guilty-bad, but physically bad.

It's true that my diet is shiningly balanced most of the time - that's not a fib. I genuinely enjoy fruit, veg, interesting salads (Israeil through and through), the gamut of fats (I probably eat avocado every day like a true generational cliche), and a variety of protein. So why do I sabotage my own overall well being with an unnecessary nutritional imbalance that ultimately makes me feel awful? There are a multitude of factors that compound and snowball. In this instance, it's been a combination of getting sloppy after a difficult first trimester, and looking for a quick fix for the depression I've fallen into being off work with SPD. I'll be the first to admit that I eat my feelings. That quick hit of the reward response after a sugar binge is powerful. But it doesn't last and it makes things worse.

So! What's a bored, depressed pregnant lady with poor coping mechanisms to do? What's my plan? I'm picking up old hobbies, planning for the future, and setting goals.

My short-term goals include writing more - here and elsewhere - and I've returned to YouTube. I loved vlogging before I started my nursing degree but let my channel die and stay dead even after I graduated. Unfortunately exercise beyond hydrotherapy (which has been AMAZING) and short, gentle walks is currently out of the question. I just have to keep my excitement about resuming exercise after the baby is born fresh. I really miss jogging. Again, my love for exercise has never been about weight for me. Keeping a regular exercise regimen has been key to managing chronic depression and insomnia.

I also need to stop feeling sorry for myself about being off work. I'm doing absolutely everything I possibly can to keep things from getting worse with my pelvis and there's no point in beating myself up for something totally out of my control. Keeping in touch with colleague friends and maintaining regular study of nursing journals will carry me through this, through maternity leave, and keep me as sharp as possible for my return to work next year. Punishing myself with put-downs and food that makes me feel sick is not the way to go.

Hopefully addressing the above underlying issues weighing me down will light the fire under my bum that I need to toss the sugar crutch, for my sake and the baby's sake. Gestational diabetes is the last thing I need right now. My goal here is to eat the foods that serve me and the baby well to my satisfaction and to learn how to say no to anything damaging. I don't need it, despite what my poor habits have made me believe. I'll be fine. I just need to snap myself out of this rut.

End rant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subscribe to my new YouTube channel! Clicky link!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW! Glossier Mega Greens Galaxy Pack & Moisturizing Moon Mask

I received these two Glossier masks from my sweet friend, Andrea, for my birthday. Since I'm a January baby, my birthday has always coincided with New Year goal-setting. The health of my skin is a priority for me - those who know me well often laugh at me for carrying a UV-protective umbrella during the warm months, and if I'm going to be outdoors for more than ten minutes any time of year, you can bet I'm wearing sunscreen. Now that I've taken a further step into my thirties, taking even better care of my changing skin seems like a sensible resolution.  Incorporating face masks into my normal routine is something I'm excited about. If the results I've had from my one use of these Glossier masks are an accurate indication of what I can expect, then it's a good decision. I'm delighted to report that the masks - for the most part - are awesome. They are meant to be used as a pair, with Mega Greens applied first. The packaging is clean and s

A Clothing Review: The Vampire Dress by ExoUmbra

Ooooh, you guys are in for a treat today! This is a review of the  Vampire Dress  from  ExoUmbra . ExoUmbra is a gothic clothing company run by the darling Moose. She has a real passion for making items that suit a broad range of body types, and it shows in her work. Something that I personally appreciate about ExoUmbra is how simple the pieces are. I love clean silhouettes.  Twirly preggo! Because the sizing is so generous (every piece is meant to be easy to move around in) the Vampire Dress was absolutely perfect for my growing baby bump. And with the brutal heat and humidity we have been experiencing in London this summer, I've pretty much been living in it since it arrived. The Vampire Dress is constructed from upcycled cotton unisex t-shirts, so it's breathable and effortless to wear. You can just throw it on and off you go. The standard version of this dress does not have a moon decal on the back, but I cheekily asked Moose to paint one on. So many of her pi

Feathers

I need to talk about my feelings.  Just as I posted about the realities of my pregnancies, the birth of my daughter, and the vulnerability that comes with the postpartum period, I want to write to you now about death. Birth and death have become so removed from our everyday lives in this postmodern age that they are now taboo. It’s strange for me to write about (It feels a bit like using your non dominant hand for a simple task) and I’m sure it’s uncomfortable for you to read about. Nevertheless, birth and death are the opposing forces that keep the perpetual motion machine of life spinning. Willingness to explore them helps me to remain grateful and be present. It also opens up an opportunity for connection through discussion. If this is too much for you right now, that’s ok. Tap out. If you want to be with me in another very human moment, let’s carry on.  My mother is dying. Well, she’s been dying since 2015, but now it’s really happening. She is going.  Death is both a fa